You can Download The Swan and The Princes Questions and Answers Pdf, Notes, Summary Class 8 English Karnataka State Board Solutions to help you to revise complete Syllabus and score more marks in your examinations.
The Swan and The Princes Questions and Answers, Notes, Summary
C1. Answer the following questions and share your responses with your partner:
What was the complaint of Dev Datt against Prince Siddhartha?
Dev Datt complained against prince Siddhartha that he had taken the swan which Dev Datt shot down.
Why did Siddhartha claim that the swan was his ?
Siddhartha claimed that the swan was his because he saved and protected its life.
How did the bird react to Dev Datt’s call?
When Dev Datt called the bird, it trembled with fear and cried.
What did Siddhartha say to the swan? What did the bird do?
Siddhartha said “Dear Swan, don’t be afraid, he had come to it and it can go and sit on his arms”. The Swan at once flew onto Siddhartha’s arms.
What made Dev Datt and Siddhartha approach the King?
Dev Datt and Siddhartha both wanted the swan. They are unable to decide, so they approached the King.
How did each of them defend their actions?
Dev Datt claimed that he had shot the bird so it belonged to him and Siddhartha claimed it because he has saved and protected its life.
How did the Chief Minister resolve the dispute in the end ?
The Chief Minister thought a plan to resolve the dispute. He told Siddhartha to keep the swan on the stool. He directed Dev Datt to call the bird. When Dev datt called the swan the bird trembled and cried with fear. Then Dev Datt came back. Next Siddhartha called the bird lovingly. It came and sat on his arms. The swan itself decided the dispute. All agreed, and were pleased. The swan now belonged to Siddhartha.
C2. Put the following events in the order te in which they occur in the play and write them in a paragraph:
- The swan flew onto Siddhartha’s arms.
- Dev Datt appealed to the King for justice.
- Siddhartha nursed the bird with great care.
- Dev Datt called the swan to him.
- Siddhartha called the swan lovingly.
- Dev Datt shot an arrow at the brid.
Dev Datt shot an arrow at the bird. Siddhartha nursed the bird with great care. Dev Datt appealed to the king for Justice. Dev Datt called the swan to him. Siddhartha called the Swan lovingly. The swan flew onto Siddhartha’s arms.
C3. After the swan had been saved by Siddhartha, it was very happy and wanted to thank the prince. Write an imaginary dialogue between the swan and prince Siddhartha. The beginning of the dialogue has been given
Swan : Dear Siddhartha, I want to talk to you.
Prince : Yes my dear. What’s it? Tell me, don’t fear anyone.
Swan : Dear prince, it’s only because of your kindness, I am still alive today.
Prince : Why are you crying?
swan : Imagine what would have happend to me with Dev Datt?
Prince : Don’t you think it was your luck?
swan : Yes, I was fortunate enough to fall near you.
Prince : I was also fortunate to save you.
VI. Some definitions are given below. Substitute each of them with a single word using prefix given above. One example is done to you
- One’s own signature — autograph
- place of living organisms — biosphere
- more than one purpose — multipurpose
- Effective against bacteria — antibiotic
- Half of the earth’s surface — hemisphere
- True, not fiction — non-fiction
- Between nations — International
- To wash before — prewash
- very small, not visible to the naked eye — microscopic.
- The suffixes …………. ful, ……………. ous, …………….. y mean [“like’ or ‘full’of]
- The suffixes ……………….. ism and …………………. ment, mean [‘act’or quality of ]
- The suffixes ………………… or and …………………. er, mean ‘one [who’]
Use a correct ending with the word below to complete the sentences.
Aswin was awakened with a feeling of excitement. (excite)
It was a glorious day, not cloudy at all. His teacher Mr. Pradeep had a guest speaker on that morning. Mr. Anilkumar, the speaker was an u of a machine and so, was famous throughout the world. By a continuous study of magnetism and its force, he was able to develop a device to generate heat using the sun rays.
V3. Add one letter and make a new word y to mean the word given in bracket:
- Wonder — [surprise]
- Complain — [express dissatisfaction]
- Strange — [unusual
- Save — [protect]
- Arms — (parts of the body]
- Belong — [possess]
V4. Fill in the blanks with the given words using the suffixes – ful’ or ‘less’ appropriately.
- Mohan usually drives on the right side of the road. He is a careless driver.
- The teacher is very careful while crossing the road. She looks to her right and left and always uses the zebra crossing.
- Hari’s father died just a few days before Diwali. It was a cheerless Diwali for Hari.
- My friend has many problems. He has to support a large family but he is always smiling. He is a cheerful person.
- I was very ill. My neighbor called a doctor. It was very thoughtful of him.
- Most young people live in the present. They are often thoughtless about the future.
- A boy picked a quarrel with a boxer. The boxer lost his temper and gave him a powerful blow.
- I was going for a walk with my friends. Suddenly a robber pounced on me and held my arms from behind. I felt totally powerless.
Task 5. So far, you have been able to identify 12 vowel sounds. Some words are given below. Pronounce them and write them in the respective columns. Note that some words have more than one vowel. For such words a particular vowel is underlined. Put them in the right columns.
Shoe, cap, plus, manage, manage whose, fruit, brother, brother, them, mud, spent, above, above, flat, burn, push, ore, pass, scatter, scatter, ease, check, hut, puss, devil, devil, art, solt, mint, board, mast, fish, shock, vast, lock
B Spoken English:
Task 1. Think of appropriate requests in these situations.
- You’ve missed the last bus to your , house (request a friend)
Nagraj, I am afraid I missed the last bus to my house. Will you Please kindly drop me home?”
- You’re bored watching T.V. (request your mother)
“Mom, Please can I go out and Play cricket. I think I am bored, sitting hear and just watching T.V.?”
- Your scooter won’t start (request the mechanic)
“Sir, I think there is some problem with my scooter. Could you Please check it up and repair it, as I have to attend to an
Task 1. The following table gives the minimum and the maximum temperature of some cities during summer. Read it and complete the sentences given below.
|City||Temperature during Summer Min||Max|
Now we can draw the following inferences:
- Bangaluru is the coolest city.
- Delhi is hotter than Mumbai and Bengaluru.
- Ahamedabad is the hottest city in India.
- Mumbai is cooler than Delhi and Ahmedabad.
Task 1. Now fill in the blanks using the appropriate prepositions from the table.
Shantigrama is a small village in Chikka mangalore district. There lives a boy Nameeth. He is studying in 8th standard. He is very punctual. Everyday he gets up early in the morning. His school is three kilometers away from his village. So, he leaves his home at 8.30 a.m.. He goes to school on foot. He always reaches school in time.
Nameeth participates in all the school activities. He listens attentively, recites poems, solves maths sums, plays games and draws beautiful pictures. His classes usually close at 4 p.m., but he stays in the school till 5 p.m. After the classes, he sits under a tree with his friends and practices music for an hour. He leaves the school campus at 5O’clock, and reaches home around p.m. He refreshes himself and plays with his friends for an hour. The he studies for two hours and watching news on the TV. After supper he goes for a walk. At 10.30 p.m. he goes to bed.
Task 2 Study the map key given carefully and complete the sentences below using appropriate prepositions.
- Vidhana Soudlia is in Bengaluru in Karnataka.
- SriLanka lies to the south of India.
- The Tropic of Cancer divides India into two equal halves.
- E Longitude passes through Allahabad in UttarPradesh.
- Delhi is on the banks of the river Yamuna.
- The Palk Strait and the Manner Bay separate India from Sri Lanka.
- Madhya Pradesh lies between Mahara- shtra and Rajasthan
- KRS has been constructed across the river Kaveri.
- There are many natural harbors along the Western Coast.
Task 3. Fill in the blanks with the appropriate prepositions, lino preposition is needed leave the space blank.
- It Apoorva felt Dinesh was right, she would agree with him.
- The Economy of India is based on farming.
- What time does the bus arrive at Mangalore?
- I wish you’d stop shouting at us angrily.
- ‘Kumar is down’here!’ she said in a loud voice.
- People differ from one another in their ability to handle stress.
- Amulya applied for a job with the local newspaper.
- Has Harish replied to your letter yet
- T apologize for losing my temper.
- Do you believe in God?
Task 1. Complete the following letter supposedly written by Hirachand to King Akbar telling-Mm that he is innocent. Use the clues given below.
I feel I am punished for no mistake of mine. You want to execute me because I have an unlucky face but I feel it is not fair. What will my wife and children do without me? what wrong have I done? I say I am innocent. I beg for your mercy and request you to free me.
Task 2. Imagine that you are Paravathi C o Shr.vunashekhara, D.No 131. Temple Road, Gorur.
Write a letter to your father requesting him to send Rs.600/- using the clues given below.
About your studies- performance in tests- excursion arranged by your school- places to be visited and date- money required.
10th January 2018
Temple Road, Gorur.
My Loving Pappa,
How are you Pappa ? I am fine and hoping the same from you.
I am studying well. Today 1 got the test marks. This time I scored 90 marks in Maths and in other subjects as usual. Kannada and Hindi subject marks are not yet announced. I hope that I get cent percent in that two subjects. In science 1 got 96 and in Social 98.
Our school has arranged an excursion to Mysore, Nagarahole, Bandipur etc. It is a two day trip. It is scheduled on 28th & 29th of this month. Within 20th we should confirm our attendance by paying Rs. 600/-. If you and Mom permit me to go, I will feel happy. I am interested to go because this is the last year and my friends are forcing me to join them. Please give your permission and send Rs.600/- within time.
Convey my best regards to Mom and Putta. 1 am awaiting your reply soon.
Yours loving daughter
Task 3. Imagine that you art Rammappa, studying in VIII standard. Government High School, Thammaditiaghi.
Write a letter to your class teacher, requesting him for grant of leave using the points given below. Class and section – reason for leave- days-father’s consent- how you make good of the lessons done during your absence. ‘
Govt High School,
15th September 2017
The Class Teacher,
Govt High School,
Respected Sir, .
Sub : Request for grant of 5 days leave.
I am Ramappa of VIII std studying in your school. I am suffering from viral fever and throat infection. Our doctor is treating me and has suggested me to take 5 days leave because it is epidemic. I have attached the Doctor Certificate.
My friends have promised me to help in notes writing. After my recovery definitley. I will study well. Please grant me leave.
Thanking you Sir,
Yours obedient Student
The Swan and The Princes Summary in English
Suddodhana was the king of Kapila Vastu, Siddhartha was his son and the prince of Kapilavastu. DevDatt was Siddartha’s cousin. Once Siddhartha and Dev Datt were playing in the garden. Dev Datt shot a swan and it fell on ground. Siddhartha saw this and washed its wound, applied medicine and saved its life.
After that the two boys quarreled over whom the swam belongs to each one claimed the swan’s ownership. Dev dutt claimed that the swan belonged to him as he had shot it down. But Siddhartha claimed that the swan belonged to him as he had saved its life. They could not decide the ownership of the swan.
So Dev Datt came to Suddodhana’s court to get justice and explained the matter. The King called Siddhartha and asked about the matter. Dev Datta claimed the swan because he shot it and Siddhartha argued that the swan belongs to him because he protected and saved its life. Both were correct. How to give judgement, so the king asked the help of his Chief Minister. The Chief Minister thought a plan and said to both the boys. The swan will decide the case. First they put the swan on the stool and Dev Datt was asked to call the Swan. He did it, but the swan trembled and cried with fear. Next Siddhartha went near the swan and consoled it and said it need not fear, then the swan flew up and sat on his arms. The Chief Minister said to King that swan had decided the case. All accepted the judgement that the swan belonged to prince Siddharta.
The Swan and The Princes Summary in Kannada