Students can Download History Chapter 3 Ancient Civilization of India Questions and Answers, Notes, KSEEB Solutions for Class 8 Social Science helps you to revise complete Karnataka State Board Syllabus and score more marks in your examinations.
Karnataka State Syllabus Class 8 Social Science History Chapter 3 Ancient Civilization of India
Class 8 Social Science Ancient Civilization of India Textual Questions and Answers
Complete the following sentences:
- The Fertile lands that is near Bolan pass ……….
- Harappa was found in the valley of Punjab ………
- Harappa people depended on agriculture and ……..
- The oldest veda is ……….
- The priest who conducted yagnas was called as ……….
II. Answer Briefly
Write about the special features of Harappa cities.
The Harappa cities are having two or more than two parts. The western part which was a citadel was narrow and it was at an elevated place.
The eastern part was wide and at a low ‘ level. This area had been called the lower town. Every part had a wall made of burnt ‘ bricks. The bricks were interlocked. So the walls were very strong.
Write a note on the great bath of Mohenjo-Daro
- Great bath of MahenjoDaro was very prominent
- It is built of bricks so as to prevent the seepage of water from the tank
- It has steps on either side
- The water was probably supplied to the tank by a well and the used water was let out.
How was the nature of the town plan during Harappa civilization?
The lower town of the Harappan city was meant for habitation purpose of the people. The town was constructed in a systematic manner. Proper house planning, roads and drains can be seen in the cities. One or two-storied houses were built. The wall was constructed with burnt bricks.
There were more than two rooms in the houses. Very good underground sewage system. The drains were covered with slabs. The gutter of each house was linked with drain outside. Totally it was followed a good town planning.
Name the Vedas
The Vedas of Aryan civilization considered the world’s oldest literary works. The four Vedas are Rig Veda, Yajur Veda, Sama Veda, and Atharvana Veda. Rig Veda is the oldest among the four Vedas.
What yajna and yagas were important during the Vedic period?
The Yagnas and yagas were performed during the Vedic period by the royal families to win the respect of the people. Some of them were Rajasurya, Vajapeya, Sarvamedha, and Ashwamedha. Aswamedha was performed by the emperors to become Samrat’s. (Emperor)
Name the profession of the post-Vedic period
In the Vedic period, society was divided on the basis of professions. This was the origin of the caste system. The Brahmins engaged in Vedic rituals, the Kshatriyas who assumed leadership during battles, the vaishyas engaged themselves in agriculture, animal husbandry, and trade. The fourth varna is Shudras, who were engaged in other professions.
In the later Vedic period many occupations were in practice. Goldsmith, basket weavers, rope weavers, cloth weavers, carpenters, potters. In addition to these, there were astrologers, musicians, flute players, dancers, and merchants.
Class 8 Social Science Ancient Civilization of India Additional Questions and Answers
I. Fill in the blanks with suitable words:
The people of Mehrgarh were the first ones to have learned the cultivation of ………… & ……….
A compilation of Nature worship, Yaga and black magic of Vedas called as ……………
Upanishads are the reflective discourse on …………….
The area between the two rivers is called …………….
The patriarchal family was the main social unit of …………..
The Vedic Age
The brass an alloy was called as ………………
Examples for non-Aryan tribes like ………………
The assembly of common people around the king was ………. & …………
The epicenter of religious practice was ………
“The one who rules all is like a God in human form” described by ………….
II. Multiple Choice Questions
Archaeologists have excavated a cellar in ………..
The cities of Harappa are said to be ………….. years old.
The main reason for the decline of the Harappa Civilization was ………….
a) Changed the course of rivers
b) Destruction of forests
c) Heavy Floods
d) All the above points
d). All the above points
The evidence of the intellectual maturity of Indians during the Veda period are …………
As a symbol of the king’s power gained importantly.
b) Ashwamedha Yaga
c) Dharmya yaga
d) Rudra Yaga
b). Ashwamedha Yaga
III. Answer the following questions:
Why did the people of ancient times live in shallow pits?
The people of ancient times lived in shallow pits in order to provide protection from the cold weather and wild animals
Write the causes for the decline of Harappa towns
- Changed course of a river
- Destruction of forest
- Probably inundation by floods
- People migrated to other areas
What is the importance of Upanishads?
- These are the reflective discoursed of philosophy
- The evidence of the intellectual maturity of Indians during the Vedas period
Write the political systems of the Rigveda period
- A reference to grama appears in Rigveda
- Rajan was the Head of the tribes
- Puru clan & Bharatha clan were important
- Non-Aryan tribes Dasyu and Paani conflicted with Aryans
- Sabha & Samithi helped to king
- A soliders was called as ‘Yodha’
- Inrasions and conflicts used to take
Write a note on the social system of past Rig-Veda period
- The four divisions of Brahmana, Kshatriya, Vysya & Shudra
- Brahmins had gained a more prominent position
- Shudras were kept at the lower end of it
- Nishida & Chaandala were grouped as untouchables
- Women were placed at the lowest position
- Polygamy was prevalent among the rich