Students can Download History Chapter 8 Modern Europe Questions and Answers, Notes, KSEEB Solutions for Class 9 Social Science helps you to revise complete Karnataka State Board Syllabus and score more marks in your examinations.
Karnataka State Syllabus Class 9 Social Science History Chapter 8 Modern Europe
Class 9 Social Science Modern Europe Textual Questions and Answers
I. Fill in the blanks with suitable words.
Renaissance means _________
rebirth and reawakening.
The father of Renaissance is called __________
Followers of Martin Luther are ________
The leader of the Counter Reformation movement is ____________
Inventor of the spinning jenny machine is ____________
II. Answer the following questions by discussing with your group :
What were the consequences of religious reformation ?
The consequences of religious reformations were :
- Many of the European kings got liberated from the hold of the Church and Pope.
- Religious reformation led to the rise of nationalism.
- Patriotic feelings became strong and the kings of Europe developed religious tolerance.
- The literary field saw progress. Local languages influenced the European minds.
- The confiscated wealth of the Church was utilized for the economic development.
- The Catholic Church itself underwent reformation and this came to be known as counter reformation.
What were the reasons for geographical explorations ?
The reasons for geographical explorations were :
- Spain and Portugal were ambitious of competing with Arabian sea trade.
- Discoveries of new countries opened the possibility of spreading Christianity.
- European curiosity was roused by the adventurous nature of sea voyage towards eastern countries.
- Mariner’s compass and astrolabe equipment were helpful to sailors. Charts and maps were available also to sailors.
- The European believed that China was a fertile place to make profit.
- As the Turks conquered the city of Constantinople, it opened the trade gates to East and West.
Which are the water-colour paintings of Leonardo da Vinci ?
The water colour paintings of Leonardo da Vinci are :
- Last Supper, and
Explain the development of literature in the period of Renaissance with an example.
Italy was the motherland of great writers. France, England. Germany and Spain too contributed a lot to literature. The theme of the literature of this period was worldly matters rather than religion. Many of the regional European languages came to be used in daily life. The works written in English, Italian and German languages by the writers of Renaissance period became very popular.
Petrarch is known as the ‘Father of Renaissance’. He collected about 200 Latin and Greek manuscripts. ‘Africa’ is his famous poem.
He was well- known for his poems and sonnets.
Describe the effects of the Industrial Revolution.
Effects of the Industrial Revolution:
- Due to innumerable changes in industries, demand for machines grew.
- Many changes took place in the economic and social fields too.
- New factories were established.
- The cost of production came down and essential products were available at a low price.
- Cottage industries could not compete with the giant factories and they collapsed.
- The rich became richer and the poor remained poor.
- People migrated from villages to towns.
- A capitalist class emerged in society.
- Hostilities developed between the owners and the workers and class conflict began. These are the effects of the Industrial Revolution.