Students can Download History Chapter 8 Modern Europe Questions and Answers, Notes, KSEEB Solutions for Class 9 Social Science helps you to revise complete Karnataka State Board Syllabus and score more marks in your examinations.
Karnataka State Syllabus Class 9 Social Science History Chapter 8 Modern Europe
Class 9 Social Science Modern Europe Textual Questions and Answers
I. Fill in the blanks with suitable words.
Renaissance means _________
rebirth and reawakening.
The father of Renaissance is called __________
Followers of Martin Luther are ________
The leader of the Counter Reformation movement is ____________
Inventor of the spinning jenny machine is ____________
II. Answer the following questions by discussing with your group :
What were the consequences of religious reformation?
The traditional practices which were prevailed in Christianity were questioned by many rationalists. The leading person in this movement was Martin Luther.
The consequences of religious reformation were as follows:
- Christianity was divided into three sects: the Catholic Church, the Orthodox Church, and the Protestant Church.
- European Kings were liberated from the hold of Church.
- It led to the rise of nationalism.
- The wealth of the Church was used for the progress of the states.
- The kings developed the quality of Religious tolerance.
- Local languages flourished.
- Internal changes were made in Churches. That was called Counter-Reformation.
What were the reasons for geographical explorations?
The reasons for geographical explorations were :
- Spain and Portugal were ambitious in competing with the Arabian sea trade.
- Discoveries of new countries opened the possibility of spreading Christianity.
- European curiosity was aroused by the adventurous nature of sea voyage towards eastern countries.
- Mariner’s compass and astrolabe equipment were helpful to sailors. Charts and maps were available also to sailors.
- The European believed that China was a fertile place to make a profit.
- As the Turks conquered the city of Constantinople, it opened the trade gates to East and West.
Which are the water-color paintings of Leonardo da Vinci?
The watercolor paintings of Leonardo da Vinci are :
- Last Supper, and
Explain the development of literature in the period of Renaissance with an example.
Italy was the motherland of great writers. France, England. Germany and Spain too contributed a lot to the literature. The theme of the literature of this period was worldly matters rather than religion. Many of the regional European languages came to be used in daily life. The works were written in English, Italian and German languages by the writers of the Renaissance period became very popular.
Petrarch is known as the ‘Father of Renaissance’. He collected about 200 Latin and Greek manuscripts. ‘Africa’ is his famous poem. He was well- known for his poems and sonnets.
Describe the effects of the Industrial Revolution.
Effects of the Industrial Revolution:
- Due to innumerable changes in industries, demand for machines grew.
- Many changes took place in the economic and social fields too.
- New factories were established.
- The cost of production came down and essential products were available at a low price.
- Cottage industries could not compete with the giant factories and they collapsed.
- The rich became richer and the poor remained poor.
- People migrated from villages to towns.
- A capitalist class emerged in society.
- Hostilities developed between the owners and the workers and class conflict began. These are the effects of the Industrial Revolution.